What is a Brand Story? It’s who you are, why you started, your culture and team, your passion. It’s what allows a potential customer choose between your brand and a competitor.
Your Brand Story can have a place on your About page or be embedded in your culture, imagery and tone of voice through social media. However you choose to portray your brand, we believe the following tips are a great way to pen your story.
- Always be authentic – share how your business came to life, the facts, the feelings. People connect with great branding and people resonate with brand stories. When prospective clients or customers meet you face to face, ensure that how you depict your brand on social media relates to how you speak in the real world. There is nothing more valuable than authenticity. This is your businesses power! It’s what sets you apart.
- Your brand story isn’t just for the about page on your website. It should be used thoughtfully throughout all your brands touchpoints as a tool to engage with the customer, from packaging to socials. For example, when we worked with That Spirited Lot on their rebrand and packaging refresh, we wanted to be evident on first glance that they were a family run business. We felt that this was a selling point and a missed opportunity if left for the back label. It’s now a clever tagline that features on the front of the bottle.
- Be emotive, if it’s aligns with your messaging and clientele. If not, find a way to resonate with your customer. If you work in a home office with kids running around, share it! There is a big push for people to reveal who they are behind their businesses posts to unlock personality and a desire to connect with who they are buying from. Alternatively, you can boost your brand story with your team.
- Keep it short and sweet. No one will read a full page on how your business started up, but you can add elements of your evolvement throughout your brand touchpoints in clever snippets. By creating a few well penned phrases to use on your website based off location, where your products are made, your vision or ethos, your brand story will be evident, seamless and intertwined with all other assets that make you stand out from competitors and attract the right clients or customers.
- Get another set of eyes across your brand story. There’s nothing worse than weaving your words throughout your brand assets and touchpoints and finding it reads very differently to outsiders.
Forgetting to tell your brand story is a missed opportunity. Need some help crafting your brand story? Request a discovery call below. We’ll help you solve your branding puzzle.